Wednesday 3 September 2008

What I'm working on.

I've not done a lot of sewing lately. I did have a bit of a play with foundation piecing though.

I'd had this Mariners Compass pattern sitting in my drawer for years. I can't even remember where it came from originally so can't acknowledge the designer of it. I think I might have traced it out of a magazine... maybe. I never did anything with it as the pointy points and curved flying geese looked really scary but I loved it and finally plucked up the courage to have a go. It's pieced onto Bounce tumble drier sheets and came together surprisingly well. It even lies flat.



I've got a big stack of 6" string blocks and I think it would work really well as the centre piece of a string block and white irish chain. When my cutting table is free again I'll have a go and see if it works.

4 comments:

  1. Love the Mariner's Compass. I have no patience with paper piecing but love to see what others do with it. The strings would make wonderful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is impressive, those are pointy points.
    I Like the idea of the string quilts i have so many odd ends i don't want to get rid of, but aren't big enough for anything else. Are they hard to put together for newbies like me?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joyce.

    Dotty: They are the easiest thing in the world and great to use up all those odds and ends. I love the fact that I can look at them and be reminded of all the quilts I have made.

    Check out Bonnie's tutorial http://quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml

    She uses randomly sized strips but I like mine all starched, pressed and rotary cut nice and neatly. But then I'm anal like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I did. I put the sheets over the pattern and traced it onto the Bounce sheet and then sewed the material to it. It gives just enough stabilization without feeling bulky and you don't need to tear it away like a paper pattern.

    ReplyDelete